Saturday, March 12, 2011

Sweat

So, it appears that I don't do this blog thing correctly. I don't keep a set schedule, I don't have a central blog topic and I ramble. I figure that's okay, though, because this is for me and my journey, really. I'm putting my thoughts and feelings out there, mostly for my benefit.

My wife and I were talking earlier this week and it dawned on us that we really love to work out! We have been exercising on a regular basis for a little over a month now, and we got to talking about how we had both forgotten how awesome it feels to sweat. Obviously not in certain situations, like sitting at your desk at work or giving a speech or sleeping or whatever, but that sweat that you get when you really bust your butt in your exercise of choice. The type of sweat that brings all the endorphins flowing.

It's been a long time since I've exercised in any kind of structure. About two months ago I decided I needed to start again. I'm overweight, out of shape, tired and I just generally felt lousy. My favorite exercise to do, aside from team sports, has been lap swimming. Not only do I love getting in the water, but I love the fact that it doesn't kill my joints. I can get a good sweat and not feel overheated, at least until after I exit the pool.

This past week I found a really awesome routine to do in the pool. Before, I used to just jump in and go through my strokes x2. With warm-up, cool-down and a kickboard lap, that made 11 total laps. It took me about 25 minutes. But I always wanted to do just freestyle (front crawl) the entire time, since I figured that would be the best cardio workout. Well, I found a great routine for beginner triathletes (I'm not going there....yet.). But it's only for 8 laps. I tried it the first time on Monday, and it was really tough. It wasn't so much that it was hard on the lungs, but my arms were just spent by time it was over.

I loved it.

I loved it so much I did it again on Wednesday. Friday was a modified version of that. When I finish this routine, I can't believe how strong I feel. It makes me feel so strong that I don't feel like I got any kind of cardio workout. I also finish it in less time. I feel even if were to do the other 3 laps I'd still finish in less time. That's an awesome feeling.

It makes me feel, well, powerful. I makes me feel like I can take on the world. It makes me feel....healthy.

I want more.

No comments:

Post a Comment